The Fam

The Fam

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Summer is over

I've been thinking lately about how MUCH I miss summer.  It was a complete free for all around here for 3 months.  Reed and Adalae could no longer read or compute simple math problems after our 3 months of NO.LEARNING.AT.ALL but this is besides the point.  This was my first summer since I was 15 years old that I didn't have a full-time job.  So I took a 3 month vacation from work (and obviously from responsibly preparing my kids for the next grade level), just whatever.  We are playing catch up now, which means the kids read to us every day, which means I'm facebooking reading in that bedroom FOR.EVER.  I might actually die in that bedroom.   Seriously, it's great and all the first couple of pages but when will you remember that we learned the word "said" 2 sentences ago and 67 times total this week?

Speaking of school, Adalae loves kindergarten.  She brings her weekly homework home on Mondays and promptly completes Mon-Thurs homework..... on MONDAY.  She actually cried last Friday when she didn't have any homework in her folder. 

And speaking of Friday, Reed had an eventful day.  He colored on his teacher's computer monitor with an orange sharpie, peeled the googly eyes off the Kindergarteners work in the hallway, and damaged another kids binder.   I really just have to laugh, because the alternative is not very attractive.  Ain't nobody got time for ugly crying.  Plus, Reed's energy level, inquisitiveness and his, *ahem, creativity generally produces some pretty cute stuff too.  Like when he tells me he was "accidentally" wild.  Or when he phonetically tried to sound out "FWC" at the dinner table (you go ahead put those sounds together and you'll see what I'm talking about). Or when we read a Magic School Bus book about the human heart and he asked where Jesus was. Or when he asked if we are going to live in our house until it burns. Or when he kisses both of my cheeks-even at school in front of his friends. Or when he tells me he loves me to Pluto and back times infinity.

And then there is Thade.  What can I say about Thade except that my heart might explode with just how proud I am of the young man he is.  About the man he is becoming.  That boy has a heart of gold and loves Jesus.  What more could a mom ask for? 

I thank God everyday for these 3 blessings.  He has been good to me.

No comments: