The Fam

The Fam

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Picnic

Wow, has it really been 2 months since I last posted? I promise to post new pictures soon. We've been very busy the last couple of months and the kids are all growing up too fast! We recently returned from a week spent at Disney World (smack in the middle of tropical storm Fay), Susan, the new nanny has started, and Thade has started football. Reed can "show his muscles now" and Adalae rolls over!

Yesterday, I thought I would be brave and take all 3 kids to the park and have a picnic while Rustin was doing yard work. The 10 minute walk there was great. Adalae slept and Reed jabbered the whole way. However, within 10 minutes of arriving at the park, the grossness started. My packing list had consisted of:
sandwiches, grapes, teddy grahams, and applesauce
paper plates, cups and a jug of water
sippy cup, bottle
diapers
burp cloth
sunscreen
bottled water
phone

I should have also included a change of clothes for all 3 children.

First of all, Thade had to pee so I sent him over by a tree to take care of business. He comes back soaking wet and can't figure out why? Apparently, instead of taking care of business on the ground by the tree, he decided to pee on the tree from less than a foot away. Do men not look at the stream to make sure it doesn't run into their feet, etc? Or to make sure it's not hitting the tree and SPLASHING their shorts?

If there is a puddle of water, Reed can spot it from a mile away. As soon as he is out of his stroller, he makes a bee-line for a slide and while I'm helping Thade get cleaned up, Reed climbs to the bottom of the slide, and then proceeds to lie flat in the water and lap it up like a doggy. Now his shorts are so wet they don't stay up so we proceed to strip him to his diaper and pray that I don't get CPS called on me for letting my toddler play at the park in 100 degree weather without clothes. 5 minutes later, Reed has a poopy and guess what I didn't check/pack? The wipey case which was completely empty. By this point, we've been at the park less time than it took to walk there or I would have just given up and walked back home. So I do the best with what I have (which is only the dirty diaper) and we play some more while his clothes are hanging from the slide baking in the sun.

When I finally get the chance to check on Adalae, she is awake, happy, and covered in spit up.

By this time, I'm totally over the park so we wash up the best we can with our water jug, eat and head home for baths.

1 comment:

Biddy said...

oh, the glamorous life of a mommy!

i didn't know y'all were hiring a nanny! *sigh* best job i ever had...