The Fam

The Fam

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thade update

Yesterday, Thade got moved to Pre-AP English and Reading! He will take the COGAT aptitude test next week to determine his eligibility for Pre-AP Math. I was so excited for him. Needless to say, when I asked how he liked it, his only response was, "It's hard." So, being the over-explainer that I am, I tell him how great an opportunity this is for him and if he takes AP classes in high school, he gets college credit, and how privileged he is to be selected for this advanced learning opportunity, etc. I'm fairly certain he tuned me out after the first 10 seconds because when I finished my "lecture", his response was, "How long do I heat up this spaghetti?"

I received an email this morning from his Pre-AP teacher letting me know that Thade continues to have a talking problem during class. He has been moved to another seat, but if the problem continues, he will be moved back to regular (ugh - average) Reading and English. I told some people today that I think I should go sit in on his 2 Pre-AP classes to show him how serious I am about this (or maybe embarrass him into behaving?) Hey, whatever works right? Anyhow, the feedback I've gotten has been mixed. Some think it's a great idea, while others think I'm going to see him on the news one day committing some atrocity because he never got over his mom showing up at school and sitting in class with him.

Any advice out there?

2 comments:

Biddy said...

wow! go thade!

try threatening sitting in on his classes....that might scare him enough haha

or lie and tell him that one day when he least expects it, you're going to be sitting in his class

The Potts Family said...

I always had the same problem - talking too much. Imagine that?
Maybe you should threaten going to the "regular" class if he gets moved to it b/c of bad behavior. If you show up at the AP class he might want to move to the regular class b/c he'll be embarrassed that you showed up to the AP class, but no on in the regular class would know. Make sense?
It all depends on how serious he takes your threats....